Following a request by email (please post requests by blog comment where possible, so everyone can see them )… a quick update, focussing on restaurants in our area.
- Castro’s Hideaway – open (of course !)
- Portofino – open
- Roland’s Garden – open. This is a unique experience… Roland is a unique guy, right down to the fact that he has no menu prices, he just asks people to pay what they think the meal was worth !
- Vivine’s – open
- Kaibo – open – downstairs only for now, limited menu. Indies Suites owners might want to skip this place (sorry… not in good taste)
- Over the Edge – open, limited menu
- Rum Point – open during the day, main restaurant to open for winter season
- Lighthouse – per earlier blog post (with pictures), being renovated. Am awaiting an update from Giuseppe, but it looks to me to like sometime in the fall
- Morritts – latest update from their GM is that whilst they will re-open part of the resort in the early fall, the restaurant will not open until 2006… as they are making extensive renovations and upgrades.
Now, some other updates to answer some queries, heading into town from the East :
- The Edge / Palm Beach (Bodden Town) – destroyed and demolished… but at least there is now a gorgeous view across Pease Bay to Breakers !
- Domino’s – opened again last week in Savannah, call 947-1188 to pick up pizza on the way back out from town.. another small step to returning normality !
- Dragon Garden (chinese) / Pizza Hut – both open next door to…….Durty Reids – open
- Castaways Grille - open. If you have not been to Cayman for a while, this is the new restaurant at Grand Harbour (where Hurleys supermarket is), next to the skateboard park and Davey Jones’ Locker (sports bar)… they do great pizzas
- Crow’s Nest – destroyed and now demolished.. a sad loss- Grand Old House – open
Some other favourites
- Bacchus - downtown, first restaurant to open after Ivan, so I have a soft spot for them. Keith and Frances (owners) are friends. They send their kids off the island, but got their restaurant re-opened, even though their house was trashed.. they even slept on the floor of the restaurant for some time. Keith is also a tremendous chef in his own right (for a time was the chef at Lighthouse, before opening his own place). Definitely worth a visit for an evening meal.
- Pappagallo – everyone knows this place… and we all love Vico, the owner… not to mention that our “luvverly” reservations manager, Lesley has her better half (Gerardo) working there… so Pappagallo is really an extension of The Reef “family”
In short…. most of the places our guests would eat at across the island are now back open, many with major improvements… a lot of local businesses took the opportunity afforded by the enforced extended closures to upgrade.
For more information, Cayman Restaurants has a full list of updates.