Cayman Time

Cayman Blog from The Reef Resort in Grand Cayman

Hands up, who wants to ride on a Star?

Calm seas and cool waters held strong temptation for the boys today.

As Captain Joey and Super Dave of Ecoventures tested out the brand new ‘Star’ inflatables (now available for hire from the Ecoventures beach hut along with inflatable windsurfs and 2-man-kayaks), a group of our guests, not to be outdone in the fun-stakes, gathered in the pool for a hearty game of volleyball.

We are careful to maintain the peace and quiet that our guests are used to but now offer variety for those who feel like a touch of adventure every now and again.

We’ve now seen the last few remaining grey clouds of Wilma and the start of a week filled with sunshine and relaxation for all.

8 Comments

1. Anonymous
    Posted October 24, 2005 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

That’s too bad.

Two of the things that set The Reef apart was the quiet and the safe snorkeling off the beach – with outboard motors running all around I fear that both of those will be a thing of the past – :(

2. Odd Blog
    Posted October 24, 2005 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Oops – sorry if I’ve alarmed you – I rephrase ‘speedboats’ – see ammended blog. The Reef purposely does not have anything noisy to disturb the peace here – the Star boats are all but silent – noisy engines are definitely not part of our scene either. Snorkelling will be safe as the boats will be set apart in designated areas.

3. Anonymous
    Posted October 24, 2005 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I am not too happy to see the new rental “boats”. How can you control where guests use them to avoid snorkeling areas? Kayaks are great, but anything with a motor seems to smack in the face of the unique quiet aspect of the Reef Resort, and the safety within the reef. :(

4. Odd Blog
    Posted October 25, 2005 at 3:41 am | Permalink

Sorry that you’re not happy. Ecoventures by their very nature are wildly keen on conservation and the natural environment, they wouldn’t want to harm this or anyone’s enjoyment of it.

If you’ve been visiting this part of the island for a while perhaps you remember that the Tortuga club next door have always had an array of motorised water vehicles that they ran for Tortuga Divers and Cayman Windsurf, including Jet Bikes – which we have said that we don’t want at The Reef based on the same principal that you assert. The Tortuga club operated a scheme that their guests and ours have always been happy with.

We have purposely gone much more low key with our watersports rental stock, so now with nothing coming from the Tortuga Club and only 3 quiet boats here, (the rest is non-motorised equipment) this part of the ocean is quieter and safer than ever.

Like I say, sorry if I caused alarm in my report – I was thrilled that all our guests were having such a great time on Sunday and wanted to share that. I’m pleased to say that amidst the pockets of activity, there were snoozers on the beach and snorkelers in the water who were extremely content.

We’re not changing the landscape or environment that you know and love – we’re enhancing it with a little more choice and I hope you’ll agree with me next time you’re here. We aim to please all our guests and owners and all improvements are carefully considered. I’m sorry we don’t have your blessing in this, this was not the intention at all.

(It seems I’ve committed the crime that I accused the media of in my previous blog ‘Lady in Red – Wilma’. Sensationalizing – that’ll teach me!)

5. Anonymous
    Posted October 25, 2005 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the explanation and details. My apology for jumping to incorrect conclusions.

6. Anonymous
    Posted October 26, 2005 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Mine was the first comment not the second – it’s not so much that you need anyone’s blessing to do something – you don’t. Like many decisions there will aways be those in favour and those against – perhaps I’m a bit of a whiner or doom sayer – I try not to be but…

First I’d like to thank you for your explanation and in kind I’d like to share an explanation of for my previous post, perhaps by doing so you may be able to provide additional insight:

I must admit the original blog entry conjured up images of jet skis and their accompanying high pitched whine.

The second image relates to the fact that propellers and snorkeling don’t mix as evidenced by the accident off of SMB earlier this year.

While designated areas are fine and well I think it’s a given that there will always be people that don’t comprehend what that means.

Further, in my experience what this (designated areas) usually translates into is that the swimmer’s area is the one that’s restricted NOT the boats. What gets strung out into the water are floating buoy lines to designate the swimming area.

IMHO one of the outstanding features of The Reef is just that – the reef. I tend to snorkel out to the reef and spend as much as an hour or two a day out there without having to be tethered to a floating dive marker. When they visit, our kids and friends do much the same. Perhaps I’ve been spoiled, perhaps I’m too resistant to change.

It’s unrealistic for me to expect that what I want is what everyone else will want as well but at least this gives a forum to express what The Reef has meant to me and my family thus far.

BTW I do recognize that the sky is not falling.

7. Anonymous
    Posted October 26, 2005 at 4:52 am | Permalink

The tiny engines on the back of the boats are so quiet that you can barely hear them. As a matter of fact, the waverunners from Morritt’s create more than enough noise pollution for both resorts. Ecoventures has an excellent understanding of the tranquility of the Reef and would never introduce noisy equipment. I think it’s great! It offers guests with health issues/disabilities a way to do a little exploring without having to kayak. Also, those guests that do not want to take part in a somewhat strenuous adventure (kayaks) on their vacation, now have an alternative.

8. Odd Blog
    Posted October 26, 2005 at 5:48 am | Permalink

Okay blogoons, this has been an enjoyable and healthy discussion but I’m going to have to leave it here now.

Thanks for all your excellent feedback, you make the blog exactly what it should be.

I’m glad that anonymous (of post 1) makes the most of reef snorkeling, I love that too, there is so much to see – the only additional comment I have to make about that is that the area directly in front of the barrier reef has for years on end been used as waterway for diving and fishing boats on their way to or from their ocean outings. I imagine that you’ve always excercised some degree of caution while you’ve been out there. As we know, Snorkeling is a relaxing and relatively easy activity, but always requires a healthy amount of safety awareness and self monitoring. I predict that you’ll find the same enjoyment of snorkeling when you come here next – and if you don’t, let us know.

Thanks again everyone.